Looking After Your Electrode Pads
If you are unable to, or, don't like the idea of using a probe to stimulate your pelvic floor muscles, you can use electrode pads on the skin as an alternative. Electrode pads transmit electrodes at an effective rate, causing your muscles to contract to exercise them and help you regain control. There is an extensive list of advantages that come with using electrode pads, including nerve stimulation optimisation and treating a huge range of pelvic related conditions.
Follow the links below to skip to a section, or scroll down the page to learn more about looking after your electrode pads.
- Where to Place the Electrode Pads
- Using Your Electrode Pads
- Programmes That Support Electrode Pads
- Use During Labour
- Caring For Your Electrode Pads
- When to Replace Your Electrode Pads
Where to Place the Electrode Pads
A number of programmes on our Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner and Kegel8 V For Men Pelvic Toner are designed to be used with electrode pads as well as, or instead of, a vaginal or anal probe. Note: The electrode pads provided with the Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner and Kegel8 V For Men Pelvic Toner are 40x40mm Different sizes of electrode pads can be purchased here.
If your selected programme supports 2 front electrodes, you should attach them as shown in this diagram. Place the electrodes next to each other on your abdomen.
If your selected programme supports 2 front electrodes and 2 back electrodes, you should attach the electrodes as shown in this diagram.
For programmes that support 4 back electrodes, position the electrodes pads as shown in this diagram.
Some of the Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner and the Kegel8 V For Men Pelvic Toner programmes allow you to use electrode pads placed on your ankle. These electrodes stimulate the tibial nerve which runs up the inside of your lower leg. This stimulation is known to help with certain pelvic floor-related conditions, such as incontinence. If your programme supports ankle electrode pads, position them on your ankle as shown in this diagram; above and below your ankle bone, leaving at least one pad length of space in between.
Male Electrode Pad Placement
In addition to using the electrode pad placements above, men can also use perineal electrode pads. If you are using perineal electrode pads with the Kegel8 V For Men Pelvic Toner, position the electrodes between your anus and scrotum, as shown here.
Using Your Electrode Pads
To use a Kegel Electrode Pad:
- Clean and dry the area where you will attach the skin electrode thoroughly. Remove any oils or lotions as these could damage your electrode pads. It is also a good idea to remove any hair from the area, as the mild adhesive may pull your hairs when you remove it - ouch!
- Peel the protective sheet from the electrode pad to reveal its sticky surface.
- Put the electrode pad into position. The pads should be a minimum of one pad length apart. The sticky surface should be placed directly onto your skin in the position shown in the above diagrams.
- Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 for each electrode pad as required.
- Attach the wires from the electrode pads into the lead wires of your Kegel8 Electronic Pelvic Toner.
- Connect the lead wires to your Kegel8 Electronic Toner.
Take special care when increasing the power to your electrode pads as your skin is sensitive. We recommend that you do not increase the power above 15mA - power higher than this is likely to damage the electrode pads.
You are now ready to start a Kegel8 exercise programme.
Programmes That Support Electrode Pads
Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner
- P08 (SENS) - Pelvic Floor Sensitivity. Use 4 back electrodes.
- P09 (OAB) - Overactive Bladder. Use ankle electrodes.
- P12 (MIXD) - Mixed Incontinence: Urge/Frequency/Stress. Use 4 back electrodes.
- P13 (FTRN) - Improvement of local blood circulation. Use 4 back electrodes.
- P17 (BOW2) - Moderate Bowel (Faecal) Incontinence. Use 2 front electrodes.
- P18 (PAIN) - Chronic Back Pain Relief. Use 4 back electrodes.
Kegel8 V For Men Pelvic Toner
- P01 (SETE) - Sensitivity Test.
- P02 (UI-1) - Urinary Incontinence.
- P03 (UI-2) - Urinary Incontinence.
- P04 (BOWL) - Maintenance of Healthy Bowel Movement.
- P05 (EREC) - Achieving a More Satisfying Erection.
- P06 (UI-3) - Urinary Incontinence 3.
- P07 (STRN) - Pelvic Floor Strength.
- P08 (MAXS) - Pelvic Floor Max Strength.
Kegel8 Mother Nurture Electronic Pelvic Toner & Labour TENS Machine
- Labour TENS (LBR) - Use 4 skin electrodes, placed in a square formation on the back for delivering TENS pain relief during labour.
Use During Labour
TENS is a recommended mode of pain relief in labour. Some midwife units offer TENS machines for patients to rent, however these are only available at selected hospitals. With the Mother Nurture, use 4 skin electrodes, placed in a square formation on the back for delivering TENS pain relief during labour.
During the birthing process some women like to shower. However, we do not recommend wearing the electrode pads while in the shower as this can cause damage to the wires.
Perspiration can also affect how long the electrode pads will last, however they can be used whilst perspiring.
Caring For Your Electrode Pads
Your Kegel8 Electrode Pads can be re-used and, if cared for, should last for around 10-15 exercise sessions.
To take care of your skin electrodes:
- After use, place the sticky side of the electrode back onto the plastic sheet (supplied with the skin electrodes). If the surface is no longer sticky, you should buy replacement electrode pads. You can purchase these here.
- Keep your skin electrodes in a clean, dry place. We recommend that you store them in their original packaging with your Kegel8 Carry Case.
When to Replace Your Electrode Pads
Electrode pads need to be replaced regularly to maintain their effectiveness at exercising your pelvic floor. They may need replacing after 10-15 sessions - but you can choose to replace them when they begin to lose their adhesiveness.
As a basic guideline, your electrode pads should last 4-6 weeks if they are used once a day and applied onto clean skin. Some people like to keep their pads in the fridge to make them last longer!