Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a non-invasive technique that involves the application of electrical currents through the skin to stimulate nerves and provide therapeutic effects. When used for erectile dysfunction (ED), TENS aims to improve blood flow, enhance nerve function, and promote the release of certain chemicals that aid in achieving and maintaining an erection.
Here's how TENS for erectile dysfunction works and its potential benefits:
1. Improved Blood Flow: TENS stimulates blood circulation by causing blood vessels to dilate. This increased blood flow can be beneficial for men with ED, as sufficient blood flow is essential for achieving and maintaining an erection.
2. Nerve Stimulation: TENS targets nerves that play a role in sexual function, including those that control penile sensation and erection response. By stimulating these nerves, TENS can enhance nerve signalling and improve the ability to achieve an erection.
3. Nitric Oxide Release: TENS can trigger the release of nitric oxide, a naturally occurring molecule that helps relax blood vessel walls and improve blood flow. Nitric oxide is a key factor in the process of achieving an erection, as it promotes the relaxation of penile muscles and allows blood to flow into the penis.
4. Muscle Relaxation: TENS can help relax pelvic floor muscles, which can improve blood circulation to the genital area and contribute to better erectile function.
5. Pain Reduction: TENS may also help alleviate any discomfort or pain that might contribute to erectile difficulties. By reducing discomfort, men may experience improved sexual function and confidence.
Benefits of TENS for Erectile Dysfunction:
Non-Invasive: TENS is a non-surgical and non-pharmacological approach, making it an attractive option for men who prefer to avoid medications or invasive procedures.
No Side Effects: TENS is generally well-tolerated and has minimal to no side effects when used appropriately.
Targeted Stimulation: TENS allows for targeted stimulation of specific nerves and muscles involved in erectile function, potentially leading to more effective results.
Convenience: Many TENS devices are portable and can be used in the privacy of one's home, the Kegel8 V For Men pelvic floor exercise device is a medical device cleared for home use giving the user the opportunity to use this home treatment for greater effect. This convenience allows for regular sessions without the need for medical visits to a GP or hospital.
Complementary Approach: TENS can be used alongside other treatments for erectile dysfunction, such as medication or lifestyle changes, to potentially enhance their effectiveness.
It's important to note that individual responses to TENS can vary, and the efficacy of TENS for erectile dysfunction may depend on factors such as the underlying cause of ED, the severity of the condition, and the specific TENS protocol used. Before starting any new treatment, including TENS, individuals with erectile dysfunction should consult a medical professional for proper guidance and recommendations tailored to their specific needs.
Here at Kegel8 Physiotherapist Amanda Savage has devised a 12 week Condition Guide for men to help combat erectile dysfunction. Amanda says 'Kegel8 V For Men may help with achieving a more satisfying erection. Electrical stimulation using skin electrodes near the sacrum improves blood flow to the pelvic nerves. To gain greater strength you can stimulate the pelvic floor muscles using an electrode inside the anal canal which will distribute current to the surrounding pelvic floor muscles to make them exercise by contracting and relaxing in patterns. Regular exercises will help strengthen your pelvic floor particularly the small pelvic floor muscles called the bulbocavernosus and the ischiocavernosus.'
If you have any product queries and want to talk to a Kegel8 Adviser please Book a Call, we can't give you medical advice, but we know how our products work and how they can help you get a stronger pelvic floor and benefits that can bring.