5 Factors Giving You a Weak Pelvic Floor
Do You Have a Weak Pelvic Floor?
You may not realise that you have a weak pelvic floor (the hammock-like muscles that support your bladder, bowel and play an important part in sexual function). Many men will have symptoms but won't associate them with their pelvic floor, after all a lot of men (and women) don't know that there is such a thing as the male pelvic floor!
- Lack of intimate sensation
- Bowel incontinence
- Overactive bladder
- Problems with erections
- Premature ejaculation
- Pelvic pain
If you have any of the above symptoms chances are you could be suffering with a weak pelvic floor.
Top 5 Factors Affecting Your Pelvic Floor
- Extra weight - even if you are carrying just a little bit of extra weight you are still putting extra pressure on your pelvic floor. This constant bearing down on the muscles makes them weaken.
- Constipation - 1 in 10 of us in the UK suffer from constipation. When you are constipated it makes you strain on the toilet and when you strain you are putting a lot of stress on your pelvic floor muscles, which can eventually lead to rectal prolapse.
- Smoking - you might be surprised about smoking being in the top 5, but you will have heard of 'smokers cough' and it's this chronic coughing that puts strain on the pelvic floor.
- Poor posture - most of us spend a lot of time sitting down, we sit in the car whilst going to and from work, we sit at our desk at work, we relax on a night sat down, but are we sitting correctly or are we slouching and putting pressure on our pelvic floor?
- Heavy lifting and high impact exercise - You don't have any extra weight, you 'go' regularly, you don't smoke, but do you attend the gym? 1 in 7 of us are gym members and if you have a weak pelvic floor and you are heavy lifting or partaking in high impact exercise or sports you are putting excess pressure on the pelvic floor muscles and are making them worse rather than strengthening them!
What Can You do to Strengthen Your Pelvic Floor?
- Cut down on fatty, processed foods and gassy drinks. Eat more fresh foods and choose water instead of fizzy drinks. Try to only have alcohol on weekends.
- By changing your diet to fresh foods and adding in fibre you will make your bowels work better. The Go Better stool is ideal for people who suffer with constipation as it puts you in the ideal position for full bowel elimination.
- Stop smoking! I know this is easier said than done, but every time you go to buy a packet of cigarettes save the money instead, after one month see how much money you have saved and see how better your breathing is and how much better food tastes!
- Just remember BBC - Bum to the Back of the Chair, this ensures that you are sitting in the correct aligned position. You can also try the Kegel8 Wedge Cushion which is perfect for your posture whilst sitting down.
- I have saved the best for last - Kegel exercises should be in your daily workout routine. These can be done manually or for the best and quickest results you should use the Kegel8 V for Men electronic pelvic toner. When your pelvic floor muscles are strong they can handle your normal workout routine.