A pelvic organ prolapse can stop you from embracing your sexuality and can cause a heavy strain on intimate relationships. The sexual positions that you perform can actually worsen the problem rather than boosting your relationship.
Do not fear, this doesn’t mean you need to dig a grave for your sex life! The team at Kegel8 has compiled a comprehensive list of the most comfortable and exciting sex positions for those with a pelvic organ prolapse:
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
A pelvic organ prolapse usually occurs when your pelvic floor muscles have become too weak to support one or more of your pelvic organs. Learn more about prolapse here.
Surprisingly, you can still have sex if you have suffered from prolapse. This includes prolapse of the bladder, uterus or rectum.
The positions that you should avoid if you suffer from a pelvic organ prolapse include:
- Girl on Top
- Girl on Top (Reverse)
These positions can cause discomfort for your prolapse as the force of gravity will be against you.
Try the below positions for more comfortable intercourse if you suffer from a pelvic organ prolapse:
- Modified Missionary - Achieve this by placing a few pillows underneath your pelvis. This angle will cause the prolapse to retract slightly, lessening any discomfort.
- Spooning – You will be able to control the speed and how much penetration actually occurs.
If you have had prolapse surgery, it may take up to 6-8 weeks for your pain to subside.
Vaginal Dryness and Atrophy
Around 17% of women aged 18-50 experience problems with vaginal dryness during sex, even before menopause. This can cause some pain and discomfort during almost any position in sexual intercourse and may even take a toll on your relationship.
To transform the Sahara into the Amazon, try using an organic, water-based lubricant to bring ease and comfort into your sex life. The Kegel8 KE Gel is a pH balanced lubricant that is non-irritating and kind to your skin. Don’t feel embarrassed to visit your GP either, there are a variety of treatments on offer for dryness; a topical oestrogen cream (available on prescription) might be just what you need to plump the delicate tissues and restore some natural lubrication.
How Can You Improve Your Sex Life?
There are 101 ways by which you can increase the excitement in the bedroom, ranging from natural solutions to electronic treatments. Kegel8 have compiled a list of our top picks for improving your sex life when suffering from pelvic problems:
- Kegel! – As we age we often think it’s inevitable that our vagina will lose all its suppleness that it once had in youth and impact on our sexual lives. But this is a myth! There are things that you can do to improve the situation. Strengthening your pelvic floor muscles is a guaranteed way to reinvigorate your sex life; a stronger pelvic floor can increase the sensation for both you and your partner. Use Kegel8’s Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner to effectively amplify your sex life today!
- Lube up – Using an organic, water-based lubricant sometimes becomes essential as we grow older. But don’t feel like you have lost a part of your allure if you need to buy some; if anything, you’re preserving your sexual life. Try a lubricant such as the Kegel8 KE Gel that is hormone free and body friendly.
- Talk it out – Communication is key when it comes to satisfying sex. Let your partner know which positions aren’t working for you, and which positions really get you going.
- Adapt and achieve – The Kamasutra isn’t set in stone. Move around when you are trying out different positions, you never know which angle will bring you the most comfort and pleasure.
What If You Still Experience Pain During Sex?
It’s very important for you to be careful in the bedroom. Bursts of excitement may seem sensual at first, but they could easily worsen any pelvic problem if not performed carefully.
Don’t ignore your pain signals if they persist, visit your GP for further diagnosis and treatment.
Reviews for the Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner
Anna - Not Just For Those Who've Had Babies!
"Firstly, let me just say how I never review products. However, I feel this product is SO good I feel I need to shout it from the rooftops - anyone suffering with any form of PFD just buy the damn thing and you will be so happy!
I am 21yrs old, never had kids, for some reason unknown to me I had the beginnings of a prolapse. I went to the doctors and they told me I was fine. Then it got worse and I started leaking, back ache, constipation, weight gain. I was horrified and they still told me there was nothing wrong with me!! So I took matters into my own hands and brought this device. WOW. No more leaking! Everything just feels so much better and i am so much happier.
I reckon I've always had weak pelvic floor muscles as I never really had much sensation down there which frustrated me and my partners. However, I did have sex last night after only ONE session and I definitely felt a massive difference so excited to give it a few weeks to see what happens!!
Thank you, Kegel8 - your product is a gift from the gods!! ”
Emma-Jayne - Bladder Pain Syndrome Sufferers - This Works!
"I have suffered with painful bladder syndrome for 2 years now, despite multiple medications, scans, tests and appointments nothing has been able to ease the pain like the Ultra 20. I found it being discussed on a forum for other bladder pain sufferers and I am amazed (and slightly disillusioned that it took so long for RELIEF and why its not on the NHS) at the results. I feel this has given me my life back and, together with my physiotherapist, there is finally some light at the end of a very long dark pain-tunnel.”
 Jha, S., Strelley, K., & Radley, S. (2012, January 12). Incontinence during intercourse: Myths unraveled [Abstract]. International Urogynecology Journal, 23(5), pp. 633-637.
 NAFC (2018) The Best Sex Positions If You Have Incontinence or Pelvic Organ Prolapse [online]. National Association for Continence [viewed 20/09/2018]. Available from https://www.nafc.org/bhealth-blog/the-best-sex-positions-if-you-have-incontinence-or-pelvic-organ-prolapse