Are you a physiotherapist that has found the perfect product to relieve a patient’s symptoms, but unsure as to whether you’re allowed to recommend it? Don’t worry, Kegel8 have the answer for all physiotherapists out there!
Are Physiotherapists Allowed to Recommend Branded Medical Devices to Patients?
A lot of medical professionals believe that recommending a branded medical device to a patient is not allowed. But, this isn’t the case!
Physiotherapy departments and private practices often lend out medical devices, such as electrical stimulation devices, biofeedback machines, and TENS units. Physios can give advice on the safe and effective use of products and devices to enhance exercise rehabilitation, assist with posture, and relieve pain.
Amanda Savage, a specialist pelvic floor and women’s health Physiotherapist and spokesperson for the POGP, says, “giving advice about products and services is a holistic part of what it means to be a physiotherapist”.
What Device Can I Recommend to A Patient?
Biofeedback machines have commonly been used by physiotherapists to enhance pelvic floor muscle exercise for over 20 years!
If you are a physiotherapist, you should not be afraid to recommend a product if you believe that it will aid your patients’ recovery. Likewise, if you are a patient, don’t hesitate to ask your specialist for a recommendation.
As Health and Social Care Secretary, Matt Hancock, has outlined, devices and technology form a vital part of the future of healthcare, and it’s important that we embrace the prospect of this and work with manufacturers to deliver the best possible care to patients.
Guidance from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy recommends that when physios endorse a product, they must consider:
- The appropriateness of the product or service in respect of presenting conditions;
- The member's own experience of the effectiveness of the product or service;
- The evidence presented by the manufacturer; and
- A reasonable assessment of the quality and cost of the service or product.
Which Kegel8 Device is Right For Your Patient?
Here at Kegel8, we love to work with medical professionals around the globe in order to design and produce high-quality medical devices for women and men who suffer from pelvic problems. If you’re wondering which Kegel8 is right for you, take a look below, or take our handy test.
I Suffer With A Prolapse
The main cause of a pelvic organ prolapse is weakened or damaged pelvic floor muscles. These muscles are vital for supporting your pelvic organs, and when they are not strong, your pelvic organs can drop down and sag. 1 in 2 women over the age of 50 will suffer with some form of prolapse. The best Kegel8 device to tackle this is:
- Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner – This medically certified device has designated programmes to increase pelvic floor strength and help to tackle pelvic organ prolapse. There are also customisable programmes that come with the Ultra 20, meaning there is the ability to personalise a programme based on regime and individual requirements.
- Kegel8 Glide Gold Vaginal Probe - This probe is designed specially for those who suffer with a pelvic organ prolapse. The unique scoop shape of the probe caters to the needs of those who suffer with prolapse or a low cervix.
I Suffer With Incontinence
Kegel exercises are the first-line conservative treatment to combat urinary incontinence. Performing these vital exercises routinely can help improve the strength of the pelvic floor and help to restore bladder and bowel control. The best Kegel8 products for this condition are:
- Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner – With 9 programmes specifically designed for incontinence and bladder weakness, this CE marked medical device can help anyone overcome those little leaks!
- Kegel8 Vaginal Cones – For women looking for a cheaper alternative, these weighted vaginal cones are a great way to strengthen those pelvic floor muscles. The unique indicator tail allows women to see when they are exercising correctly and when they are not! Exercising your pelvic floor with weighted vaginal cones is a great way for women to learn how to work their muscles themselves, without the aid of an electronic toner. Plus, the Kegel8 Vaginal Cones are available on prescription!
- Kegel8 Ultra Vitality Electronic Pelvic Toner – Just like the Ultra 20, the Ultra Vitality also has a number of designated programmes to address bladder and bowel weakness.
I Suffer With Pelvic Pain
Pelvic pain can be caused by a variety of factors; tight pelvic muscles, vulvodynia, vaginismus, endometriosis, and many more. But, that doesn’t mean that you should suffer in silence. Kegel8’s award-winning range of pelvic toners feature programmes designed for muscle relaxation and pain relief. These toners include:
- Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner – The pre-set pain programmes help to block the pain signals being sent to the brain and stimulate the release of endorphins for natural pain relief. The Ultra 20 can also help to relax pelvic floor muscles that have become “locked” in pain. The best benefit of the Ultra 20 is that if you don’t want to use a vaginal probe for relief, you can stimulate points outside of the body using the supplied electrode pads!
- Kegel8 Ultra Vitality Electronic Pelvic Toner – The Ultra Vitality has 2 pre-set programmes to tackle pain, and more importantly relaxation. Relaxing is just as important as exercising when you’re strengthening the pelvic floor.
I Suffer With Sexual Intimacy
Our pelvic floor muscles naturally weaken with age, so it’s important that we work to keep them strong and toned. Keeping on top of your Kegel exercises can also help improve sexual intimacy! The vagina passes through the pelvic floor muscles, and as a result, both you and your partner will feel these strong muscles during penetrative sex. Having stronger muscles leads to stronger orgasms! The best Kegel8 device to increase intimate sensation is:
- Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner – You can regain sensation and confidence by using this medical device. The Ultra 20 has 3 designated programmes to regain intimate sensation: Sensation Improvement, Pelvic Floor Endurance, and Pelvic Floor Sensitivity.
I Suffer Before, During, and After Pregnancy
The pelvic floor is vital before, during, and after pregnancy. At Kegel8 we recognise the need to protect the pelvic floor during this magnificent journey, and that’s why the best device to use in preparation for, and after pregnancy is:
- Kegel8 Mother Nurture Electronic Pelvic Toner & Labour TENS Machine – You can use this device before pregnancy in order to prepare your pelvic floor for the weight of your baby. The electrode pads allow for the machine to be used as a TENS machine during labour to provide pain relief – with an extra special boost button for those harder moments! The machine can then be used postnatally for recovery – it’s important to nurture your pelvic floor after what it has been through!
I Suffer During Peri-Menopause and Post-Menopause
The decline in oestrogen teamed with natural ageing can wreak havoc on the pelvic floor during menopause. This can lead to incontinence, a pelvic organ prolapse, and more! To tackle all of these problems, there’s one device that can help:
- Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner – With over 20 programmes designed with the help of a physiotherapist, the Ultra 20 is the one-stop product that anyone who goes through menopause needs!
I Suffer With Pelvic Floor Problems and I'm Male
The pelvic floor and Kegels are not exclusively for women – men can suffer with pelvic floor disorders too! And, this hasn’t gone unnoticed by Kegel8, that’s why we devised a product specifically for men:
- Kegel8 V For Men Pelvic Toner – Developed with the UK’s leading clinicians, the V For Men is a revolutionary digital pelvic floor toner designed especially for men. This device has a multitude of programmes that can help to tackle: urinary incontinence, bowel incontinence, erectile problems, and pelvic floor strength – plus 3 added customisable programme slots!
If you would like to learn more about the Kegel8 devices available or would like to work with Kegel8, feel free to contact [email protected] for more information about ordering products.
Reviews for the Kegel8 Ultra 20 Electronic Pelvic Toner
Jackie - Works So Fast!
"I originally purchased this for a bladder prolapse to avoid surgery. After around a week of using this machine I saw an amazing result. After years of a weak bladder and having to wear incontinance pads I noticed a difference. There were no dribbles on my pad. I honestly thought I would have a weak bladder forever! This bladder correction was a bonus when I purchased this machine I am absolutely delighted with it. Another added bonus is you only have to use it once a day. No more of that pelvic foor counting, which you do religiously at first then forget to do.”
Elaine - It Works!
"Been looking at Kegel8 for over a year thinking does it work or not. My bladder and pelvis got so weak I would not go out without a pad on, and pads and extra knickers in my bag. Spoke to Fiona who helped me get the right Kegel8 for me. Started using it straight away on the programmes Fiona suggested. Straight away I knew it was working felt tighter inside after 7 days I didn't have to use pads anymore but would not go out without a pad on. Well after 10 days been out without pads on it felt great, no leaks it! Well all I can say if it's this good after 2 weeks whats its going to be like in 12 weeks?! Its so good to go out and not worry anymore. Oh, and by the way I did my exercise with no pads and for the first time in over 10 years an no leaks!”
Where to find Amanda:
⇢ @supportedmums - Instagram
⇢ @ASav4ge - Twitter
 Hagen S, Stark D. Conservative prevention and management of pelvic organ prolapse in women (review). Available from: http://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/media/documents/101006_mat10_historical_comparisons_tables_final.pdf
 Savage, A.M. (2018) Continence products and medical devices: issues that pelvic health physiotherapists need to consider. Journal of Pelvic, Obstetric and Gynaecological Physiotherapy, Spring. 122, 30-40.